Re: [rest-dev] Drop Minimum Java Requirement to Java 17

On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 8:55 AM Arjan Tijms via rest-dev <rest-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 at 17:08, James Perkins via rest-dev <rest-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In a lot of environments/workplaces it's not simple to just upgrade a Java version. For some I'm sure even getting to Java SE 17 will be a challenge. In the ideal world people just upgrade, but from experience I've never seen that happen.

Isn't it very likely that environments that can't (or don't want to) update the Java version, also can't (or don't want) to update the Jakarta REST version?

It could be true, yes. As it is now though they could update nearly every other Jakarta EE 11 dependency specification except Jakarta REST and Jakarta Concurrency. To me it comes down to the question of adoption. Do we want people to adopt the new Jakarta REST 4.0 specification? If yes, running on Java SE 17 seems like we would get the most adoption.

Why would you want to update in a very unbalanced way? E.g. not update the OS, but do update the Java version, or not update either OS, Java version or Application Server version, but do update the REST version, etc etc.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

-Markus