Re: [platform-ui-dev] UI Guidelines v2.1 Feedback

Hi David,

> under what circumstances I should be using a button and under what
circumstances I should be using a hyperlink
You're right about this not being clear. So far we don't have any written
guidelines on this but I agree they would be useful.

There is some action in general on updating the guidelines by the UI Best
Practices Workgroup
(http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/User_Interface_Best_Practices_Working_Group),
 but specific topics are still being collected. We have a new process in
place for both requesting coverage in the guidelines and for writing a
proposed topic:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/UI_Best_Practices_Update_Process#Make_a_request

To ensure your request is recorded, I added it to the "Talk" page for the
UI Guidelines:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Talk:User_Interface_Guidelines

The working draft to the 3.x guidelines is here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/UI_Best_Practices_v3.x

Also, some good references from the OS level are as follows:
Windows Vista UX Guidelines
-    Main: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511440.aspx
-    Dialog Boxes: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511268.aspx
-    Links: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511483.aspx

MacOSX Guidelines
-    Main:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/index.html

Gnome 2.0 Guidelines
-    http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/

Regards,
Kim
UI Design . Rational Software
IBM Toronto Media Design Studio

UI Graphic Guidelines for Eclipse-based tools:
http://mds.torolab.ibm.com/rational/guidelines/uigraphics

             David.Brandow@syb
             ase.com
             platform-ui-dev-b         platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             ounces@xxxxxxxxxx                                          cc
                                                                   Subject
                                       [platform-ui-dev] UI Guidelines
             01/25/2007 11:07          v2.1 Feedback
             AM

             Please respond to
             "Eclipse Platform
               UI component
             developers list."
             <platform-ui-dev@
               eclipse.org>

Given the increasing use of hyperlinks in Eclipse, I was wondering if it
would be appropriate to establish some guidelines as to their use.  There
seems to be two general uses, as traditional hyperlinks to navigate to a
different location (for example, the File Assocations, Content Types and
Appearance links on the General->Editors preference page) and to open
dialogs/wizards (for example, the Configure Project Specific Settings...
link on the Java->Compiler preference page).  My specific area of confusion
lies in the latter use case, its not clear to me under what circumstances I
should be using a button and under what circumstances I should be using a
hyperlink.  If you could provide a guideline to go by, that'd be greatly
appreciated.