Re: [platform-dev] Turn on protected branches?

Andrey, you could merge your PR without waiting for the verification build in exceptional cases.

Andrey Loskutov <loskutov@xxxxxx> schrieb am Fr., 25. März 2022, 16:09:
I'm also in favour of requiring validation before push, but there should be still possibility to manually merge anything.
We often have cases where builds aren't running at all, so to fix it we have to be able to enforce push.

Kind regards,
Andrey Loskutov

Спасение утопающих - дело рук самих утопающих

https://www.eclipse.org/user/aloskutov

Gesendet: Freitag, 25. März 2022 um 15:59 Uhr
Von: "Alexander Fedorov" <alexander.fedorov@xxxxxxxxxx>
An: platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: [platform-dev] Turn on protected branches?
+1

3/25/2022 4:53 PM, Wim Jongman пишет:
+1

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 at 11:50, Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
+1 for protecting master from direct pushes, IMHO build verification should be mandatory

Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am Fr., 25. März 2022, 11:48:

On Fri., Mar. 25, 2022, 05:32 Mickael Istria, <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 9:46 AM <jkubitz-eclipse@xxxxxx> wrote:

Well, if direct pushing to the repository is disallowed it should be disabled. I accidently made my first error with not creating a PR. And got nor error message. Highly confusing.

Committers still and forever will have direct access to the Git repo. Having push capabilities to project repo is the very essence of being a committer over being a contributor.

*Direct* push to branch is not a committer privilege, but a project choice. Protecting branches, even from committers, is a good idea. Many Gerrit projects disabled direct push (ie you had to create a gerrit review first). Github branches can (and I strongly recommend should) be protected to, at least to require a PR first.

I assume these repos have force push disabled too ad I believe webmaster does that by default, but if not that should be enabled too.

Jonah