Re: [platform-dev] Github workflow

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 1:25 PM Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sorry, if that was said before (I did not read all discussions in
detail) but committers can create PR for the same repository without
the additional fork.

So a possible workflow is:
1.) Clone repo
2.) Create new local branch
3.) Push local branch to new branch in origin
4.) Create PR from new branch to master / main in the same repo

This removes the need to sync your server fork.

Lars, this workflow is good for small and/or private projects. But for bigger communities it's better to stick to official  github recommendations ( https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/collaborating-with-pull-requests/getting-started/about-collaborative-development-models) Shared repository model - "This model is more prevalent with small teams and organizations collaborating on private projects." and I would not call Eclipse being small team nor private project.)
Benefits from using a fork and branch in your fork has at least these multiple benefits:
* your changes are independent and not create churn in the main project
* committers and contributors follow same procedures so better understand each other
* put less burden on CI - every branch in main repo is scanned and checked for compilability and test status

Best regards, Lars

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 11:22 AM Rolf Theunissen
<rolf.theunissen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What comes to mind is 'origin' and 'upstream' repositories. Where 'origin' is your fork and the 'upstream' the forked repo.
> Your workflow seems to fetch from 'upstream' (aka eclipse) and push to origin (aka me), after which a PR is made from 'orgin' back to 'upstream'.
> With the right settings this might be able to set the default fetch and default push locations in EGit too.
>
> https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/collaborating-with-pull-requests/working-with-forks/configuring-a-remote-for-a-fork
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9257533/what-is-the-difference-between-origin-and-upstream-on-github
>

> Op di 22 mrt. 2022 om 11:13 schreef Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 10:46 AM Wim Jongman <wim.jongman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Go to your fork and "Fetch upstream" [1]
>>
>> Why do you need to do that? Particularly if you never use master/main?
>> FWIW, may workflow is
>> $ git fetch eclipse master
>> $ git checkout FETCH_HEAD
>> [... do changes ...]
>> $ git commit -m "My super fix (#123)"
>> $ git push me HEAD:refs/heads/issue-123
>> Create PR
>> If needed, improve, rebase, `git push me --force HEAD:issue-123`
>> Upon PR merge, just remove my issue-123 branch.
>>
>> This allows to not care about the master/main branch in my fork. I can even happily delete it, and it gives me more guarantee to keep in sync!

Eclipse Platform project co-lead
CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058