Re: [platform-dev] Vote to stop bug auto-closing in all Eclipse platform projects

On Friday, February 18, 2022, Sebastian Zarnekow <sebastian.zarnekow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Bot that does the auto-closing at Eclipse though doesn't give a heads-up, many tickets are never looked at.

I personally look at all notifications I receive from Bugzilla and react to auto-close tickets either by taking the decision of not reopening, or by reopening with extra info, just like it's recommended in the message.
And I'm happy with it bith as a reporter and a committer.

But if some people take the decision to not care about those notifications ,don't read them, don't react and fully ignore the bug just like if notifications were not sent, then it's not really the process or the bot notifications that's to blame if some bugs are ignored...

> If the only interaction with the reporter is an automated `Please reopen`

It's not what the message that comes with auto-close recommends as possible reaction, and I've personally seen -and even fixed- several bugs that I would have ignored if there were no notification. Maybe it's not something you've encountered yet,but it does exist anyway.

> it's just sad and the poorest version of valuing contributors.

I find keeping the bug open and letting reporter face a heavy silence or build hope that it will just get fixed while no code contributor will care to fix it is in the end less nice to contributors that telling them "hey that's old! Is it still relevant? If yes, please reopen"

> IIRC whenever people ask how to contribute, part of the answer is also "file bug reports".

Who told that the goal or even the real effect here is to reduce the amount if incoming bug reports? There's probably something you misunderstood.

--
Mickael Istria