Re: [platform-dev] Vote to stop bug auto-closing in all Eclipse platform projects

On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 11:09 AM Liviu Ionescu <ilg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Personally, when I see my tickets automatically closed, I regret the time spent to file the reports, and I start to think about looking for alternate solutions to replace the buggy project.

Reporters can also read the message that's send with the close message to know why it is closed and other possible reactions.

If the final decision will be to auto-close the tickets, and we really care for the users, sorry to say it, but how about providing a link to VS Code?

That won't change much. VSCode also auto-close inactive tickets: https://github.com/microsoft/vscode/issues/52247#issuecomment-400660468

This might also reduce the risk of having the tickets reopened... :-(

You totally misunderstood the rationale in favor auto-closing. Having tickets reopened is exactly what auto-closing is meant for, it's the desired effect that someone will read the notification and think the ticket is still worth a comment to revive it, providing extra info even just a "still happens with latest release". Good triaging/prioritizing means we have people doing this kind of work, as the committers are not doing it because they're busy with other things and have their own goals and motivations that can often be different from just making some random users happy, it's fair to give some more responsibility to the community in triaging/verifying their bugs themselves; so at least someone care.
Auto-closing implies some triaging: it's reopened => still worth being considered, no-one reopens => no need to care, no need to keep tracking it.

Back to the top