Re: [platform-dev] Has the time come?

I want to mention one thing in Gerrit that I probably do wrong or is indeed difficult: Working together on the same change.

When I work on my own, I can sequentially push new changes.

If someone is helping me (e.g. changed the commit message in the Gerrit UI, or anything more substantial) then my workflow is broken. If I unknowingly commit my change but it is out of sequence when I push. When you are not a git grandmaster and understand how Gerrit organizes the different change-sets then this can become very difficult. Often leading to abandoned changes and pushing again.

This does not stimulate working together.

This process is much easier to manage when working together on the same branch.

Cheers, Wim

(Another difficult thing in Gerrit is the notion of sequential change-sets. E.g. the author bases one change-set on another. I recently broke such a scenario when I was trying to "help" by rebasing a change that broke the relation to another change-set.)

Back to the top