Re: [platform-dev] Has the time come?

I preface everything I say on this thread with the observation that "I am completely uniformed on the details"...  All this squash-merge, force-push means very little to me so I'm admittedly highly ignorant...

I continue to get the sense that decisions are being made on what feels like a knee-jerk basis.  I don't intend to offend anyone with that comment, so please don't take offense.  It just seems we keep seeing anecdotes and factoids floating by.

Rolf's suggestion of gathering facts and making decisions based on a full set of confirmed facts would be ideal for such an important decision.  Perhaps a table with the important considerations as the rows and github versus gitlab as the columns to get a feeling of the pos and cons.   Having used gitlab for several customer projects it's doesn't feel all that different from github to me.  It has a bit of a "the latest cool new thing' feeling to it, so it makes me wonder why all the cool kids aren't flocking too it...

In terms of this specific latest detail, wouldn't Eclipse have 100% control over any limits on gitlab.eclipse.org?