Re: [platform-dev] Has the time come?

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 10:54 AM Sebastian Zarnekow <sebastian.zarnekow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Looking at the https://github.com/eclipse/lemminx-maven/pull/205 I don't see the comments *on* the previous commit that became obsolete due to a force push. I can still see them as outdated in the linear conversation though. This is also the case on Gitlab though. So the force-push habit (which is inherently necessary if FF-only merges are allowed) has an impact on the way we can associate comments with versions of a patch-set.

Indeed, it's slightly more complicated. But the data is here: the comments keep reference to the commit, so even after a force-push, it's still possible to find out which version of the commit the comment applies to, and to get access to the content of that former commit.
But the `... forced-push ...` line could probably be improved with a link to show a diff of the commits, and ideally this diff link would show data in the context of the PR, eg be capable of showing comments.
I'm going to open a feature request to GitHub about it and will keep you in touch if this improves at some point.
However, I agree that if we want to make things simpler via GitHub, we probably need to enable workflows that do not involve force-push, and instead rely on GitHub capability to "squash and merge" and let committers use it if they feel it's better than asking submitter for a force-push.
--
Mickael Istria