Re: [platform-debug-dev] Vote: Goodbye "process" view

+1 (but there are some some issues that need to be addressed, see below)

I'm in favor, since there is a usability problem when it comes to
terminating a process.
You can't terminate a process from the console, depending on how
you launched the program you have to either go to the Debug or
Process view. The user often goes to the wrong one.

My current set-up is that I have a process view has a fast view in
the Java perspective. This allows me to quickly terminate a process
without switching to the debug perspective. I don't think I would put the
Debug View as a fast view in the Java perspective since it isn't usable in
isolation.
Therefore I suggest that we add a terminate button to the console's
local toolbar. It will terminate the current process. To make it clear
which
process I'm about to terminate the Console View should show an identifier
for the process in the titlebar (this would make sense independent of
the current proposal).

The name of the Debug view should be adapted to reflect its new
more general purpose (Launch?).

--erich

                    "Darin Wright/WPG/OTI"
                    <Darin_Wright@xxxxxxx>            To:     jdt-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                          cc:
                    platform-debug-dev-admin@e        Subject:     [platform-debug-dev] Vote: Goodbye "process" view
                    clipse.org

                    22.11.2001 00:14
                    Please respond to
                    platform-debug-dev

I propose that the 'process' view be removed from the debug perspective.
Currently we have a 'debug' view and a 'process' view. The debug view shows
launches in debug mode, and the process view shows launches in run mode.
Furthermore, the process view shows a "runtime" presentation of debug
launches. For example, when I am doing local java debugging, I see a debug
target in the debug view, and I see its associated "java.exe" in the
process view. If I terminate one, I terminate the other. The two views of
the same debug target are confusing.

Thus, I propose
* one 'debug' view that shows all launches (in both modes).
* we only show one view of a debug target - i.e. we do not show the
"java.exe" view of a debug target
* a launch object will not contain a process (i.e. in #getProcesses()) that
refers to the process for a debug target (because that process is available
from the debug target anyway via IDebugTarget.getProcess()).
* a launch can still contain > 1 process (for example, when debugging J9,
the "proxy" will still be appear as a process)

Darin