Re: [platform-debug-dev] Extensible set of debug elements

> Currently, the debug core defines a static set of "debug elements":
>
> * debug target
> * thread
> * stack frame
> * variable
> * value
> * register group
> * register
> * storage
>
> We would like any "debug adapter" developers (i.e. anyone who writes an
> implementation of a debug model) to be able to define new elements if
> neccessary. To allow this, I propose that we remove (or at least deprecate)
> the method "IDebugElement.getElementType()". We will also remove (or
> deprecate) the element type constants. This way, the possible set of debug
> elements is not limited to those defined in core. Similarly, this will
> allow debug events to be fired for elements that are not defined within the
> core.

We are currently working at a debug plugin, my coworker did come up
with some set of generic Inteface that he'd liked.
Unfortunately, I did not follow this thread, could you comment more on
your ideas/project?  I do not have a full picture, except to say that
you seem to go in the right direction.

> The impact this will have is that we have some code that does "switch"
> statements based on element type - in content providers, and model
> presentations, etc. - that dispatches to different functionality based on
> element type. At worst, these can be re-coded to do "instanceof" checks.
>
> Comments?

Back to the top