Re: [pdt-dev] Financial or other support to get PDT up to PHP 8.x support?
- From: Alexander McKee <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 14:17:38 +0000
- Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=domainlogic.co.uk; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=domainlogic.co.uk; dkim=pass header.d=domainlogic.co.uk; arc=none
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=pLcmxptImt9MJKpN6UGELXdTIeWLjB+cUkTFPxz+DAw=; b=oeuTjpmOVbqLLQiJRbJfiZyxmIgbk6qy8FzGtwNVFduOilpEBiNYtjIiUMdT8vTHkbVwQLLIc2TNqDjKFKaHSq9b7pgAmQ6og7R/bRJjCAiJp31BTMt1F+4YwP9NSFv1Lx9//bJVbK8xtilqiV1XSZAySGcX8HFFP4DaEiY8V7KSBGoWYnPUvUthcvfaUm8AcLxwY05H+wDSCqsM8BfiO/4f3DElvI0HtLPAlhFYLc2Ecrf234Avj36+lK+I/mxlo5qgwX0aHEYputMJ3pFecLxeeZ9dcpS0shEZkY9OxPi98bk2J/8byLISy62t2X/5RyvrXX8+/uurhuqva2AtCQ==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=AohCVGNfJO0n6sDDjWeln/kSSw4Os6mi9iczAe9XJdc0WjZQ9P+2XXc6alomvRDDf0toP0Qb/C17nh827eKMiOMUs5Wa9OADU57hY1H3GDV1ozCLMZVNMR8sARaEh+X6ugqi4FvrM2VIeMN80EDHS36UkC0Vdwha6W02klTJ4/YpIG35FOoFapQ8yYtmOKGGYEqHhHiiVyx3rbjcDoswRmma5NqnIZotNiImTWxhcGT2OXg2SR92LwndETQyrI1gzhcKWo2YWhHf057257WaRNftfcR1D4SML7lagRLDdM9hJARurHpPhWpW6JneBexb8SZIijZZOc6BVkzHzXUqsw==
- Delivered-to: pdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
- List-archive: <https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/private/pdt-dev/>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-subscribe: <https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/pdt-dev>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://www.eclipse.org/mailman/options/pdt-dev>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- Thread-index: AQHZBdXQnw9ABs0h/k6RoLuTmAoPLq5apI9t
- Thread-topic: [pdt-dev] Financial or other support to get PDT up to PHP 8.x support?
I think the main issue is that there is only one PDT developer, Dawid, who is intermittently active. I tried to get involved, there's still a PR open, but unfortunately it doesn't seem help is welcome.
I even sponsored Dawid using GitHub's sponsorship feature for a while.
I don't want to make it about Dawid, he's clearly done a lot of work on PDT over the years but he is also evidently not working consistently on PDT and the product is suffering as a result.
I wish he would work with other people to help enable more development to take place.
I am using PHPStorm now but I wish I could use an open source product like PDT.
From: pdt-dev <pdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Basil Mohamed Gohar via pdt-dev <pdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, 1 December 2022, 22:39
To: PDT Developers <pdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Basil Mohamed Gohar <basilgohar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pdt-dev] Financial or other support to get PDT up to PHP 8.x support?
I'd like to offer to help get some kind of support, whether financial or otherwise, to the PDT project in order to get development going again, especially with regards to PHP 8.2 support, which is just about to be released. As it stands now, PDT only supports
up to 7.4.
Please let me know if there's some way that we can bring in support from outside, whether through sponsors or development resources, and if so, how best we can manage that.
I don't want to pressure the core developers, rather, I just want to offer support. Sadly, I'm not fluent in Java so I don't think I can contribute directly, else I would have long ago.
I hope this garners some support, because I love PDT as a tool and I would love to keep using it, but there are key features in the latest versions of PHP (such as the
match construct) that just aren't recognized and are parsed as errors in PDT currently.