Re: [paho-dev] When to send publish acknowledgements

OK. Got it. Thanks, everyone.

Frank

On 7/28/21 7:41 AM, Andy Stanford-Clark wrote:
in the olden days, we used to assume the publisher would retry the messages on a timer if it hadn't received the appropriate ack.

It took a while before we realised that TCP/IP actually does assured delivery, so as long as the connection is still intact, the original message WILL get there, and sending it again (particularly for large messages over slow links) just adds to the congestion.
Hence we gave the advice to only republish on a reconnect, but the "and other times if you want to" is a vestige of our earlier (lack of) )understanding.

Andy

Andy Stanford-Clark
IBM Corporate Strategy - SPEED leader for EMEA

Distinguished Engineer, Master Inventor, IBM Quantum Ambassador,
Member IBM Academy of Technology, Fellow BCS
Visiting Professor at Newcastle, Southampton and UEA.

Tel: +44 (0)7801 787096 [internal: 37 277624]   twitter: @andysc