From: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Brian de Alwis
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2010 10:00 PM
To: P2 developer discussions
Subject: Re: [p2-dev] How to build an update site for a product?

I hoped some p2 experts might be able to answer this still-unanswered
part of Samuel's question:

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Samuel Wu <samuelwu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...] what are you going to do if you find you need to ship a
> new osgi runtime or webserver? Although the product package works as a
stub
> and its size is small, it still has the chance to be updated. My
question
> is how you are going to ship that update to the product. It's more
> important in your case because your customer has to pick up the
product as
> a stub and reinstall the real features after the product update.

I've been playing around with shipping a small headless product that
does nothing but replaces itself with a different product.  I have a
similar concern as I too would like to ship Equinox updates along with
my app.

In my case, I'm using the lower-level
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.planner.IProfileChangeRequest-based operations
rather than the
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.operations.ProfileChangeOperation-based
operations so that I can perform IU removals with IU additions/updates
in one fell swoop.  I've got this working well now.  But during my
testing I made a mistake in having the replacement product specify a
different version of the system bundle (org.eclipse.osgi).  Installing
this product and thenapplying the change with
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.configurator.Configurator#apply
Configuration() led to an IllegalStateException:

	java.lang.IllegalStateException: The System Bundle was updated.
The framework must be restarted to finalize the configuration change

How do I cause a restart?  Is there a generally accepted mechanism in
OSGi, or is calling
org.osgi.service.packageadmin.PackageAdmin#refreshPackages(null)
sufficient?

Brian.