Re: [p2-dev] Documentation and P2 in another OSGi framework implementation

> > 2. p2 should be able to run on other frameworks, however I think we have a
> > few ties with equinox in a few places of our code.
>
> There are. The first I encounter, which is a show stopper for now, is
> that p2 core requires bundle org.eclipse.equinox.common (requires
> bundle really needed?) that imports packages exported by
> org.eclipse.osgi. As this is main equinox bundle it will also export
> the osgi packages and the problems starts :). But this was just a
> first,short attempt to run it in felix/kf.

As far as I remember the dependency from common to equinox should be optional. If they are not this is a bug since a while back we intended to have common be usable in other fwks and standalone.

> > As for provisioning other frameworks, it is something that p2 is designed to
> > address through the org.eclipse.equinox.frameworkadmin abstraction
> > (http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_FrameworkAdmin this doc may be slightly out
> > of sync) but we have not pushed this aspect forward for lack of time and
> > need.

Actually I now remember that 2 years ago we had written a proof of concept implementation of frameworkadmin for felix and kf. You can find the code in cvsroot eclipse under equinox-incubator.