Re: [orion-dev] Try out a new outline view for Javascript

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 5:24 AM, Patrick Mueller <pmuellr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 9/1/11 12:01 PM, John J Barton wrote:
Any chance you would consider breaking out your plugin into a new github
repro? Then I could fork it and incorporate uglifoc,
https://github.com/johnjbarton/uglifoc
which has a more elaborate heuristic for names based on the work of Salman
Mirghasemi.

Sure would be nice to be able to name things based on environmental aspects; ie, exported functions from "modules" could be named as ${module-name}.${function-name}.  CoffeeScript has first class support for classes/methods, so I'd want to work those names into the picture as well.

I'm thinking debug-time, of course, and so thinking maybe this should be worked into the SourceMap effort somehow.  Not a direct linkage to Orion, yet, though I guess Orion should be considering generating and consuming SourceMaps.

These algorithms work off source and they are a small increment after parsing so debuggers and editors with parsers for syntax highlighting can use them directly, no need to store the names.   Source maps require the info from the code generation step.

jjb

Source Map Revision 3 Proposal (no idea where the conversation is taking place):

   http://bit.ly/p60Psi (document at Google docs)

--
Patrick Mueller - http://muellerware.org