Re: [orbit-dev] switch from com.spotify.docker.client to org.mandas.docker.client
  • From: "Homer, Tony" <tony.homer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 17:29:13 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=intel.com; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=intel.com; dkim=pass header.d=intel.com; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=lQo5x29YCdrZwq6+BlvcxGHPBGQ5Dg1k8MrNLYtuzJc=; b=Xlapzadn6kQUkhEO99lx+k2GlGCpo45nTTkyNyge4UJE3efBjVNFRcrhjq4589TIx9Ohc19Cygx9d8pm3NwkIKlSdZ9LwVnwAcHquSX/d9kjUJoxxrBGZZ9tBDxh3xA+UdOyIPk72tXy/MUWwVTkO9UTwSVryL1TwY7HUI5pley7fHxeAii3+esfTyjqeNiqKnhgQxqJqfB6mq0POskvr0q8nF28NBTUwTWDOv/xPftqbgnLYdl+lJMpD8Y573ZPBHc3sfjwV29tC5UeleezadHcnMZT4gVqOv1wmJ0+jDhh0yBJeXfkaj5G69MBf0GIt/Kj/3aVfBcw/VS3KP5d5Q==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=HZtiYn71scsJM9G1TAzykfFHrMU0Voi/RQa2hZhZxLkjXje96qSC4Mksz2uYdXLYLTuTKejS3p9/x96Tynrx4M7xddLrIvmADGYhDXZHW87QYokJebrkLbOQoOvQVEsccE/bmjgcXL4MjUWySLTQcb9pOdFnBtDkN0szwfzQJ7wiVwq0Q4iNhB43YXkGrUKbgn4ep6Inm32lh7K0F+RPkNTYlSXyaWhTwz7w+dL6SXEsg4zOR8oCxKTrdHHUBSS8VpLwjTGaBBHPtXo6OekOP3PR3Ej94fpLzyAAz4qvGqTCbAvrEbzhRnPHve5d5USL0pMOmUTBEpYRNXM77YaU5A==

Thanks for the feedback and guidance, Roland and Matthias!

I was planning on using ebr to generate the first draft of the recipes and then use a diff tool to compare with the old version with an eye to merging the old osgi.bnd into the new, so thanks for confirming that is the way to go, Roland!

I will send a message to cross-project-issues with a brief summary of the background and the proposed change including the list of dependency changes, then get started on the change requests.

Tony

On 1/17/20 , 8:28 AM, "orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Roland Grunberg" <orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of rgrunber@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 5:41 PM Homer, Tony <tony.homer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > Should I open 22 change requests (1 + 13 + 8), one giant change request for all of these changes or somewhere in between?

    As Matthias mentioned, they would need to be filed separately. The good
    news is that only a license check would be required, and since many of
    the packages are just updates, it should go through quickly.

    It would be nice to have a list of which packages are being updated, and
    which will be new. (eg. foo 1.0.0 -> 1.1.0). I'm guessing Jackson and
    Jersey packages will be the majority of the updates and probably JNR
    as well ?

    > Should the obsolete Spotify Docker Client and/or it’s dependencies be removed from Orbit?
    > What other communications are needed (e.g., cross-project-issues-dev)?

    Yes, because we're now replacing it with an "updated" version. Those
    wishing to continue using the older bundle, which depends on a vulnerable
    libraries could technically just use an older release build.

    I say "updated" because we're basically updating "com.spotify.docker.client" to
    "org.mandas.docker.client" yet the versions are completely different. Not only
    is the Bundle-SymbolicName changing, but all the package names as well.
    This would definitely need to be communicated. Does "org.mandas.docker.client"
    maintain the same package structure as docker-client ? Projects would need
    to be aware of how to migrate. I think it would be worth it to post to
    cross-projecct-issues with the list of dependencies you plan to update. I would
    also make it clear that the dependencies being removed can still be accessed
    by using an older release build.

    > Any other comments or guidance on this set of changes?

    I would make sure to use the "osgi.bnd" of the original bundles that are being
    updated, and hopefully the main things changing in there are version numbers.
    I would also CC Jeff Johnston from Linux Tools Project on this so that he can
    test out a draft build of the changes against the Docker tooling within that
    project.

    Cheers,
    Roland Grunberg