Re: [orbit-dev] commons.net (was: Orbit's first weekly build has been declared!)

Certainly none of the issues I pointed out would stop us declaring a Stable build.  If hey can be addressed as appropriate over the next milestone with a goal to having all the bundles in "final shape" by M6, that would be great.

The points about Ant are interesting.  I understand now why it is the way it is.  Still not sure how I feel about it.  Other bundles should be able to contirbute the JARs from commons.net but this feels like overkill to require that.  I suppose that having the plugin.xml there does not hurt.  Anyone else got an opinion/thought on this?

Jeff

Hi all,

I wanted to comment on the issues raised by Jeff regarding commons.net -- thanks, Jeff, for reviewing -- I'm glad to get an expert opinion!
Regarding the fixing of any issues, do we see a pressing need to do so for any "stable build"? Given that we are currently the only
consumers of commons.net, I'd hope not.

- org.apache.commons.net is a "flat" (directory based) bundle with nested JARs.  Is there a technical reason fo rthis?

No. The bundle was created before the instructions (exploding classfiles) were put in place, and I didnt have time yet to fix it.

It also seems to include an image file (eclipse.png).

Because we have a feature for commons net where the bundle holds the branding info for the about dialog. Somehow I thought the Apache License required us doing so. Given the recent discussions around this, I guess I'll probably remove the separate features for commons.net and oro and have it included in some other feature only.

- commons.net is marked as a singleton.  This would be an excellent discussion topic to define the situations in which singleton-ness is appropriate.  What drove us to make commons.net a singleton?

I guess I just copied some existing Manifest which happened to be a singleton. Actually, I agree that I can't see a reason why there shouldn't be muliple versions.

I see that it has an extension but that extension is anonymous (no id) so it should be ok to have multiple (depending on what the extension point is doing).  Speaking of that, why is commons.net contributing to the Eclipse Ant support?

The ant ftp, rcp, rsh tasks need commons.net to work. These tasks are being shipped as part of our ant bundle already (with these tasks non functional without commons net). So I thought it were a good idea to advertise commons net when it is there.

In general the bundles we create should be just straight bundlings of the third party libs with no functional value add.  Other bundles can contribute to extensions etc.  Another fine discussion point.
Hm. In this particular case, ant wants the plain, original apache lib (and just wants to know where it lives). So I'd think that having the extension point is ok.

I'm open and glad about any more discussions about this!

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber
Wind River Systems, Inc.