Re: [orbit-dev] Going once? Going twice?

For this particular milestone we are probably good to go.  The situation in the future is interesting
- if "the" build is taking explicit contributions (e.g., not just building out of the state of the branch) then committers are effectively stating the readiness of their bundle by adding some version tag to a map file.

- Since we don't have any test suites, the only checks would be a) using it in some project and ensuring that that project's tests pass and b) visual inspection of the bundle to ensure the form/content is correct

- As we get up an running the rate of change to bundles should drop dramatically.  If we do have a sign off perhaps it would only involve those bundles that changed since the last sign off?

These are just observations.  Keeping the project process light is a very good thing but on the other hand, many projects are relying on these bundles and we need to ensure a high level of confidence.

Jeff

David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/08/2007 08:36 PM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [orbit-dev] Going once? Going twice?

Not sure, sounds like process to me and I am wondering what that process would improve for our project. Is it a concern we declare too early when some are not ready? Is it hoped to help remind people of their responsibilities as they sign the dotted line?  I am sincerely interested in your thinking here. Other options/opinons are quite welcome and I'd be happy to live with the groups decision.

Pascal Rapicault <Pascal_Rapicault@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/08/2007 07:19 PM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [orbit-dev] Going once? Going twice?

Before declaring stability, I think we should have a sign off from all the committers who have contributed a bundle (this way we will feel more like a real project <g>). What do you think?

David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/08/2007 06:45 PM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[orbit-dev] Going once? Going twice?

Thanks everyone for some last minute reviews and fixes today.

Unless I hear otherwise in the next few minutes, I'll copy this  build in committers area

http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/committers/drops/S200702082257/

to the downloads area, and we'll declare Success, er, I mean Stable.

I think we can just leave the directory and zip file "dated", instead of  renaming to "M1", unless
anyone objects. I know this may seem odd, but Orbit is kind of an odd project :)
That is, doesn't have quite the fanfare associated with milestones, and it's
milestone intervals are fairly arbitrary.

Thanks again,