Re: [orbit-dev] Orbit Build process ready for review and contributions

I should have been more explict, the ones that are there right now, are just based on me grabbing some stuff that was in CVS and guessing what and how folks wanted built.
This was mostly for me to test the scipts and procedure I had, and hopefully to serve as an example of how committers could get started.
So, now, committers should check, re-release if needed, and "do it right".  I may just not have seen lucene 1.9.1 (or, did something else wrong).

But, thanks for checking and reporting. I will be double checking to be sure that empy one is not a problem with my scripts.

>   So, is it a final decision to not provide an update site for those
> bundles?

It's my understanding it's "final for now". That we'd re-consider if/when more people and use-cases seemed to require it.
Also, I believe, someone was going to look into the implications of doing it for (only) Europa requirements.
You might open an enhancement request, and encourage people to document their desire/use cases there.
Guess you haven't convinced us yet, Eugene :)
My main concern is it requires one feature per bundle, and "features" seem an archaic construct and their use should
be minimized.
Also, if you did all the work for it, I imagine people would not object too strongly :)
There actually are update jars produced by the current process, but are not really exposed since,
so far, the only update feature is the relatively meaningless build features. But if you ftp/ssh to the
download sites, you'd see them under /updateSite for each build (they are not put on any true update site).

>  I still believe it was very bad idea to explode all the .class files
> into cvs. Orbit should use original jars as much as possible.

As I recall, this so there'd be "as little change as possible" from the third party distributions?
Right? Other reasons?
Is there another way to get a jarred bundle without exploding the original jars?
As far as I know, to have "jarred bundles" was the primary motivation ... but, I'm sure others
may know more than I.
And, keep in mind, if we ever wanted an update site, with "packed" content, we'd be likely be tweaking the orignals anyway :)
(as part of jar conditioning).

Eugene Kuleshov <eu@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/16/2007 03:57 PM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [orbit-dev] Orbit Build process ready for review and contributions

 That is weird:

org.apache.lucene_1.4.3 (this one actually have no classes)
org.apache.lucene.analysis_1.9.1

 I expected to see org.apache.lucene_1.9.1 too...
 Does anyone requested lucene 2.0 and/or Jakarta httpclient?

 So, is it a final decision to not provide an update site for those
bundles?

 I still believe it was very bad idea to explode all the .class files
into cvs. Orbit should use original jars as much as possible.

 regards,
 Eugene