[oniro-wg] Towards an Oniro chat service: channels structure proposal

Hello,

## Background

Eclipse Foundation IT is working on implementing an Oniro chat service
based on Matrix[1], as described in the IT Infrastructure and Services
Implementation and Migration Plan v1.1.0[2].

This mail's goal is to find out if the below proposal is ok with you or you
have a different opinion. The proposal describes a potential initial Oniro
chat structure and some basic ground rules.

The proposal does not intend to be a strict or complete one. We have been
using the chat already for some time without any issue so I am focusing only
on the aspects I believe that might need some agreement or should be reminded.

## Proposal

### Goal

The goal of this proposal is to define the main principles and ground rules
that will guide the interaction of Oniro community and ecosystem members with
the new Chat Service at EF as well as the initial structure of the different
Oniro chat channels.

### Principles and ground rules

Oniro is the front line for EF when it comes to provisioning, maintaining and
supporting a chat service. Chat channels are not specifically a matter of the
EF Development[3] Process or Handbook[4] (mailing lists and forums are).
Still, basic rules like the EF Community CoC[5] and others applied to mailing
lists, designed to keep the channels healthy, will apply. Based on the
experience build at Oniro, processes can/will be created and published in the
future related with chats. Oniro will have to comply with them.

Some other applicable principles and ground rules are:
* Less is more. Start with a small number of channels.
* All channels will be public except 1:1 conversations.
   * Public channels will not be encrypted
* Only users with an EF account will be able to join any chat channel since
everyone needs to comply with the EF legal and IP frameworks.
* Mailing lists remain the default channel for persistent/official
information, including agendas and minutes of every relevant meeting or
decision.
   * If meetings are held through chat, agenda and minutes should be sent to
the corresponding mailing list.
* Add/remove channels
   * On the engineering side, the PMC will be the governance body in charge of
requesting EF IT to create/remove channels for developers.
   * On the WG side, the Oniro WG SC will be the governance body in charge of
requesting EF IT to create/remove channels for ecosystem members.
   * All requests to create/remove channels will be done through HelpDesk

## Chat channel structure

Oniro chat service will start with two channels:
* oniro-dev for community (engineering) related conversations
* oniro-wg for ecosystem related conversations

The overall idea is to start bringing all the people involved in Oniro to
these two channels. For some, it will take some effort since they might not be
familiar with the tool (install a client or join through a web browser) or
they might not be chat users.

This proposal is consistent with "less is more" and with the current approach
in libera.chat where we decided to concentrate everybody in a single channel
to reduce management effort and information dispersion.

I would like to ask committers and other developers if the following chat
channels would be needed initially or we can use the oniro-dev at first, as
proposed, leaving them for a second phase:
* One channel for meetings through chat.
* One channel for pipelines notifications (including MR) coming from gitlab.

On a second phase, based on how intensive the information flow is and the
variety of the topics discussed, we can think about the following ones:
* One channel per project
* Topic specific channels like... one channel for marketing related topics,
one channel for specifications related topics, security...
* One channel per WG Committee

Your feedback is welcome.

Best Regards

[1] https://matrix.org/
[2] https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipse-wg/oniro-wg/products-services-oniro-wg/
it-services-oniro-wg/coordination-it-services-oniro-wg/-/blob/main/oniro-it-
infrastructure-and-services-implementation-and-migration-plan.md
[3] https://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/
[4] https://www.eclipse.org/projects/handbook/
[5] https://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/Community_Code_of_Conduct.php

--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
Oniro Program Manager | Eclipse Foundation