Re: [mosquitto-dev] Implementing health check for containerized MQTT server application?

Steve Prior <sprior@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm not sure I made my question clear, I'm not talking about setting
> up health checks for the mosquito message broker itself, I'm talking
> about a pattern for setting up health checks for a worker program that
> subscribes to MQTT messages, does work, and possibly posts a message
> in response.

It sounds like you want to know if all of the folllowing are true (if
not, alarm):
  worker program gets MQTT messages
  worker program's self-assessment is that it is ok
  worker program can send MQTT messages

so I'd make up a foo/healthcheck/ping topic, and have
nagios/zabbix/whatever post a nonce to it periodically, and expect the
worker program to post to foo/healthcheck/pong with json that has the
nonce and some assessment and stats.   Sort of faux snmp over mqtt.