Re: [m2e-users] Plugin execution not coveredby lifecycleconfiguration

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Igor Fedorenko <igor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For example, none of "mojo" enhancement
> requests we received so far [1] can be supported by neither <ignore/>
> nor <execute/> mapping, so improving ways to stores these mappings seems
> like a wrong problem to solve.

After reading that list, I am really unsure, whether you considered
all possible alternatives.

For example, let's say I am just assigning a Maven goal like
"generate-resources" and have the project builder run that. Much like
the Ant builder, which invokes a target. (And, if I remember right,
much like what has been done in the past.)

Okay, I admit that I am missing a few settings like folders with
generated sources and stuff like that. But so far, I was always happy
with a manually generated build path in the project. In contrary, I am
unhappy with the new way in 1.0.0, which frequently forces me to run
"Update project configuration", discarding my manual project settings.

IMO, the new M2E wants to be really clever. I have to admit, that I
would prefer it to be not so clever while maintaining the feeling that
I can control it.

> Proprietary plugins. I probably emphasize m2e marketplace catalog little
> too much. Even though the catalog provides convenient way to discover
> and install m2e extensions, it is not required. Proprietary plugins can
> be supported by m2e extensions available from an update sites only
> visible on company's intranet or come as part of a custom eclipse
> distro, for example.

That's not good, Igor. Please note: We are Eclipse *users*, not
*developers*, like you.

We are managing Maven projects, not Eclipse projects. We've got Nexus
up and running, but are far from having an Eclipse update site. Having
played with Tycho a little bit, I find the maintenance of an update
site extremely cumbersome and hard. For example, I haven't yet found a
way how to integrate a new version while preserving existing versions
in the catalog.

Jochen

--
Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men
will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of

John Maynard Keynes (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Keynes)

Back to the top