[m2e-dev] Setting up development workspace for m2e - updates to process

Hello,

I'm following the instructions at: https://www.eclipse.org/m2e/documentation/m2e-development-environment.html and I think they may be in need of some face-lifting. I am logging the details here for anyone that might want to get started.

After cloning the m2e-core repo, I built from command line using buildall.sh and everything was ok.

I then proceeded to import into the Eclipse workspace and found the following:

1) In the instructions it reads: "Import org.eclipse.m2e.workspace, m2e-core and m2e-core-tests as existing maven projects." but there is no "org.eclipse.m2e.workspace" project to import. Instead there is "m2e-maven-runtime" which has the maven runtime packaged as a bundle. Perhaps it was renamed?

2) m2e-core-tests is not a git submodule so it might be worth mentioning that you don't need to pull it from githib directly.

3) I think the import works better if you import in sequence as follows:

- first import m2e-maven-runtime
- then import m2e-core
- finally import m2e-core-tests

4) After importing I noticed that there's a lot of issues from imported stuff that was actually "test data". I think it deserves mention that nothing under "m2e-core-tests/org.eclipse.m2e.tests" (namely projects/resources folders) is meant to be imported. I removed these from the workspace.

5) Finally, I was left with a single error in my problems view for project "org.eclipse.m2e.importer.tests":

"Project has only main sources but depends on project 'org.eclipse.m2e.tests.common' which has only test sources."

I went to the Java Build Path properties of 'org.eclipse.m2e.tests.common' and in the 'Source' tab I toggled the "Contains test resources" flag from Yes to No. I am not sure why Tycho/m2e decided to set this to Yes as I could not find something in pom.xml for this.

Back to the top