Re: [jetty-users] Can the warning about system properties and JVM args be suppressed?

Shawn,

the --exec option does fire up another process to run jetty, but not in the background.  It effectively takes over the input/output from the start.jar process.

The reason you are getting this warning is because of the -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError, which has been passed to the start.jar as an argument rather than to the JVM.   The start.jar warning is offering that if you use --exec, it will pass the -XX to the nested JVM so it can take effect.

Moving the -XX should fix the problem.

But in general if you used the --exec, you would see very little difference with perhaps the only downside being an extra PID that can be a little confusing and a small waste of resources.

If your start line is really fixed, then you can also use the --dry-run option to generate the full command line options, which can then be used instead of going via start.jar - this saves a bit of time and memory, plus avoids the need for --exec

cheers

On 23 March 2016 at 09:11, Shawn Heisey <eclipse@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/22/2016 8:22 AM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:
> What system properties are you using?
> And why not use --exec if you are using System properties?

On a machine running Solr that I started with our init script,
this is the whole commandline:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/bin/java -server -Xms18g -Xmx18g
-XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:SurvivorRatio=4 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90
-XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC
-XX:+CMSScavengeBeforeRemark -XX:PretenureSizeThreshold=64m
-XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=70
-XX:CMSMaxAbortablePrecleanTime=2000 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled
-XX:+ParallelRefProcEnabled -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintHeapAtGC
-XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps
-XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution -XX:+PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime
-Xloggc:/index/solr5/logs/solr_gc.log -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.local._only_=false
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=18982
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.rmi.port=18982 -Djetty.port=8982
-DSTOP.PORT=7982 -DSTOP.KEY=solrrocks -Duser.timezone=UTC
-Djetty.home=/opt/solr5/server -Dsolr.solr.home=/index/solr5/data
-Dsolr.install.dir=/opt/solr5
-Dlog4j.configuration=file:/index/solr5/log4j.properties -jar start.jar
-XX:_OnOutOfMemoryError_=/opt/solr5/bin/oom_solr.sh 8982 /index/solr5/logs
--module=http

This is running Jetty 9.2.13.

We are aware that the placement of the OnOutOfMemoryError option is
incorrect, this will be fixed in our next version.

I finally did manage to locate a webpage that mentions the "--exec"
option.  It says "Starts a forked instance of Jetty."  I have some clue
what all the words mean, but not what the effective result of that
option is.  My best guess is that it starts Jetty in the background.
This is good for our normal start mode, but we also have a foreground
option.

I wasn't involved with writing the start script.  It looks like we are
starting Jetty in the background using the "nohup" command.  I don't
know if this is just because it's a convenient option, or because
immunity to HUP signals was actually desired.  In the Windows start
script, background operation is accomplished with "START /B".

Thanks,
Shawn