Re: [jetty-users] Can the warning about system properties and JVM args be suppressed?

On 3/22/2016 5:22 PM, Greg Wilkins wrote:
> the --exec option does fire up another process to run jetty, but not
> in the background.  It effectively takes over the input/output from
> the start.jar process.

I mean no offense when I say this -- the documentation on this option
needs more clarity.  I'm also aware that this is very much a case of the
pot calling the kettle black ... Solr's documentation ALSO needs a lot
of work, and we probably have more things to fix than you.

> The reason you are getting this warning is because of the
> -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError, which has been passed to the start.jar as an
> argument rather than to the JVM.   The start.jar warning is offering
> that if you use --exec, it will pass the -XX to the nested JVM so it
> can take effect.
>
> Moving the -XX should fix the problem.

I'm not at all surprised that it's a bug in Solr.  Thank you for
figuring this out.  Moving the option will happen with the next Solr
version.  I have confirmed that this does get rid of the warning.

Shawn

Back to the top