Re: [jetty-users] WAR overlays in Jetty 9.1?

in broad notes so we don't steal too much away from a subsequent blog
entry on this, or the one that greg will be posting shortly once the
lastest tech empower benchmarks land

the performance improvement is most dramatic from 7/8 to 9 with 9.1
edging ahead in certain scenarios due to the reworks required to
expose streaming IO for servlet 3.1

You should be comfortably able to use the latest 9.0 release and plan
for a 9.1 release once the supporting libraries you require update
which should be in pretty short order, joakim or I will take a look at
that Weld issue, I was just in that code fairly recently to get 9.0
supported.  Honestly, servlet 3.1 mixed things up more than
anticipated as the trend in jee continues to embrace ease of use vs
performance (re: annotations and scanning).

As for moving from larger jee containers to smaller, more lightweight
ones like Jetty...that is a trend we have seen for years now that
appears to be increasing once more.  I am the Project Manager for
Webtide and we have helped a lot of companies ease that transition so
if you are interested in learning more about our paid support or just
want to touch base one on one with a jetty developer let me know and
we can chat.  I have spoken with a lot of the community over the last
couple of months gathering feedback on Jetty and CometD both to help
inform the next years worth of open source efforts so if anyone is
interested feel free to ping me.

cheers,
jesse
--