Re: [jetty-users] Suggestions for best performance in relation to clustered instances

On 6/8/2012 1:17 AM, Mikael Brandin wrote:
Hi,

I'm developing a new webservice that will require some scaling out and I
am considering the best approche of achiving this with maximum
flexibility. The general setup constitutes a proxy load balancing
requests to X (> 2) instances of Jetty with each Jetty running the
webservice in question. Using sticky-sessions (proxy routing the same
JSESSIONID requests to the same instance at all times) I assume that
Jetty would be able to handle this out of the box but the trick comes to
authentication. I bascially want a solution that either persists the
session (effectively making the session age in the
database/datasource/redis/...) or use a seperate cookie for
authentication this to be able to use round-robin for request to avoid
user being bound to a single instance. I should mention that the
webservice in question does not rely on using session for storing user
related data.

I am aware that Jetty supports multiple ways for authentication but
consider all authentication methods that involve login/authentication in
seperate steps (form login rather than http basic digest).

I notice that I have rolled at least 3 questions into one here but to
summerize:
- Is authentication persisted with the session (or is that an option)
with Jetty?
- Does anyone know of a setup to achive clustered authentication or is
that the same as clustered sessions?
- What authentication/login service would be best match for handling a
webservice?

Would appreciate any feedback!

With regards,
Mikael Brandin

I was about to ask a similar question. All we need is to store in a session is the fact that a user has authenticated. I don't want to be forced to use sticky sessions, but would rather have the session available to any box that needs it.

What are the best practices here? Somebody help!

Back to the top