[jetty-users] How to get Jetty to degrade gracefully under load

We're seeing an odd problem when load testing our site. Something's probably misconfigured, but I don't know where to look.

As we ramp up the number of users with our load testing software, the number of requests Jetty can handle tops out at about 100/second. (Our app is doing some work to process each request, so the low rate isn't Jetty's fault). As more and more requests come in, average page load time creeps up to 6 or 7 seconds, max load time becomes very high, and then all at once the system starts sending 503s. Any new requests get a 503, and the load testing software reports that it starts getting about 500 503s per second, presumably from earlier requests that were queued up. This continues for about a minute, and then the system starts accepting requests again.

So when a lot of users come in, some get serviced, some have to wait a long time, and then whole system shuts down for a minute while it recovers.

I'd prefer not to have a catastrophic failure like this. Perhaps the system should send 503s earlier so the queue never gets too big. Or maybe it should never send a 503, and just make the wait times uniformly longer for all users.

We're on Amazon, so we can use monitoring software to detect when page load time is > X seconds and spin up more instances.

What parameters can we twiddle to control how Jetty degrades? Or have we misconfigured things?

Back to the top