[jetty-users] Suggestions for best performance in relation to clustered instances

Hi,

I'm developing a new webservice that will require some scaling out and I am considering the best approche of achiving this with maximum flexibility. The general setup constitutes a proxy load balancing requests to X (> 2) instances of Jetty with each Jetty running the webservice in question. Using sticky-sessions (proxy routing the same JSESSIONID requests to the same instance at all times) I assume that Jetty would be able to handle this out of the box but the trick comes to authentication. I bascially want a solution that either persists the session (effectively making the session age in the database/datasource/redis/...) or use a seperate cookie for authentication this to be able to use round-robin for request to avoid user being bound to a single instance. I should mention that the webservice in question does not rely on using session for storing user related data.

I am aware that Jetty supports multiple ways for authentication but consider all authentication methods that involve login/authentication in seperate steps (form login rather than http basic digest).

I notice that I have rolled at least 3 questions into one here but to summerize: - Is authentication persisted with the session (or is that an option) with Jetty? - Does anyone know of a setup to achive clustered authentication or is that the same as clustered sessions? - What authentication/login service would be best match for handling a webservice?

Would appreciate any feedback!

With regards,
Mikael Brandin

Back to the top