Re: [jetty-users] Jetty 8.0.0 - 8.0.4 not closing connections using SelectChannelConnector

Hi Volodia,

Thank you for your update.

In regard for restarting, is the worst solution even, but because we are
quite busy in the moment, that was my first quick solution. As I mention I
have several heavy web sites (mips.tv - php/apache/java/simpleframework,
liveflash.tv -java/jetty...), and for one day we have more than 3M visits.
The problems are busy hours, when for one hour we can have up to 1M visits
(M like million). Each visit has more then 5-6 requests to server
(statistics requests, flash requests, image requests etc). But, not only
dead connections are the problem with jetty. We also have memory leakage on
jetty which is not good at all.

All I can say is that we spend a lot of resources on jetty which on the end
it will be wasted.

About other solutions (we are not using activemq, but we are having the same
issue as you have), on php/apache/java site, we are using simpleframework
(java) for restfull implementation of all requests that are heavy
(statistics, database requests that are repeating, flash requests and more).
So far, no one can beat simpleframework (simpleframework org) - as an http
container, not java application server (jetty in our first case is embedded
java server). Simpleframework can handle 32 000 requests per second (on our
production server) and today when I check it for sending this post, there
was more than 120M requests handled (70% of them are inserts/updates in
database) without restart, and current memory usage was 80MB :).

Regarding using new technologies, when we will have time, I plan to try with
grizzly and/or simple framework. We will inform you about the results.

In regards for ngnix we can't use it as we have custom headers, domain
protect and much more (need to try, but I think it will be also waste of
resources :) )

I hope someone that reading this post will gave us some nice ideas where to
focus in order to find solution (even for jetty, or for good reliable java
application server).

pecko