Re: [jetty-dev] jetty-test-helper version

Well toolchain was to take care of things that help the build work
correctly...things like the enforcer rule that keeps us from releasing
without editing the VERSION.txt appropriately.

when joakim was first putting together this artifact its mission was
to simply aid in the build process, a few handy classes that made our
test cases more sane and pulled in duplicate classes that were
peppered throughout the codebase

based on that we decided to just put it in the toolchain along with
the other artifacts that mess with the build.  My primary motivation
with that was that we not pollute the eclipse artifact space in the m2
repo, we have the toolchain so dropping this under that groupId made
sense and it didn't seem important enough to put into jetty trunk
proper, which it could certainly be.  It is likely to be like the
other toolchain items, 1 maybe 2 releases over the years and the
module is basically ignored.

that being said it is a bit different then normal toolchain in that
people interact with it more directly so it could go into the main
jetty trunk itself, or split out into its own home...but if either of
those were to happen I would like to see a larger mission statement
for the existence of the module first, how will it grow over time,
what additional functionality could go in it, etc.  Something that
makes it more then a toolchain artifact.

cheers,
jesse

--
jesse mcconnell