RE: [jdt-ui-dev] Refactoring: Any plans for a Lint like tool (...a tool to identify bad code smells...)?

Sure, someone could write a tool that uses the Java AST support in Eclipse

Actually, that is exactly what we did with our Code Audit facility in CodePro Studio (CPS).

http://www.instantiations.com/codepro/ws/beta/docs/features/audit/audit.html
http://www.instantiations.com/codepro/ws/beta/docs/features/audit/audit_details.html
http://www.instantiations.com/codepro/ws/beta/docs/preferences/preferences_audit.html

but then that tool would only be useful inside Eclipse.

True. OTOH, you can achieve very tight integration with Eclipse by doing that.

Some fo the tools like this I've seen (javacheck, for example, and the auditing tools in Instantiations' CodePro Studio) target other environments, and decide to use other tools like ANTLR.

After building our jFactor refactoring engine for VA Java in Smalltalk, we switched to ANTLR when we built the JBuilder version. We started building similar refactoring support for Eclipse but abandoned that effort once the Eclipse.org folks made it clear that they were going to include that natively in Eclipse. Our Eclipse-based CPS product uses only pure Eclipse-based facilities at this point and does not use any other libraries than the ones included in Eclipse itself.

Regards,

-Eric Clayberg
 Sr. Vice President of Product Development
 Instantiations, Inc.
 503-612-9337 Sales
 503-612-9499 Fax
 http://www.instantiations.com