Re: [jaspic-dev] VI Running Authentication TCK

On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 10:54 AM arjan tijms <arjan.tijms@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 11:25 AM Darran Lofthouse <darran.lofthouse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Arjan,

I am not sure if editing the root pom would be viable for VI testing as that would really mean maintaining a separate fork of the TCK which would need to be rebased / changes reapplied every time there are changes within the TCK.

Essentially editing (root) files is what the old TCK heavily depended upon as well. I agree it's not super ideal, but it does work for a CI. For instance, we run this from a CI and see how we edit the files (using embedded ANT):

Looking at the authentication TCK it looks like it needs to be more than a single module as each test is now in it's own maven artifact.  But it also doesn't look like it will be viable to reference them all from a runner pom as they look like they are written to require isolation?

That's true. The idea was to use insert your own profile code using ANT/sed, etc by the CI here:

Ok, that sounds like it could be more viable, will this TCK be published to Maven as an artifact or just as a zip download from the tck-dist build?

I am going to work on a build which does this for WildFly which could probably be used as a basis for an example.  With Jakarta Security following the same hierarchy it can likely be reused there with minimal change.

I was about to create an example for this, but because of the many other tasks to get EE 10 done I wasn't able to do that yet.

Alternative solutions could be using a Maven Invoker variant that can put extra dependencies on the classpath of the pom it invoked, or using a delegate Arquillian connector that uses a system property to reference the actual Arquillian connector. That way the original pom would not have to be edited by the CI.

On a related point is it necessary for the individual maven projects to create deployments during the build as looking at the code ShrinkWrap is still used to assemble the deployment under test?  This looks to be the biggest benefit of the hierarchy?

We can probably move the tests to the IT phase, and grab the output from Maven indeed. That's what the Security TCK is using as well: https://github.com/jakartaee/security/blob/master/tck/app-custom/src/test/java/ee/jakarta/tck/security/test/AppCustomIT.java

The biggest practical benefit of the hierarchy (which follows from grabbing the maven output) is that each test is its own war, that can be deployed and inspected totally independently from the test framework.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

I am going to try today and create a WildFly runner pom this might be a suitable basis for some VI instructions.

Regards,
Darran Lofthouse.