IMHO, only supporting the JDK 11 for GF6 is not a good idea. Most of the community and developers (more than 90%) still use the JDK 8 as their JDK platform. Only supporting 11 means that we are ignoring them.
Regards.
Gurkan

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:24 PM Steve Millidge (Payara) <steve.millidge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For GlassFish to support JDK 8 and JDK 11 is non-trivial from my experience with Payara, so I believe GlassFish 6.0.0 we will be targeting 11 only.

From: jakartaee-tck-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <jakartaee-tck-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Kevin Sutter
Sent: 30 June 2020 20:39
To: jakartaee-tck developer discussions <jakartaee-tck-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [jakartaee-tck-dev] How to build the Platform TCK to target JDK8 but support running with JDK11?

Scott,
Now we have two threads going on this topic... :-)  That's okay, I'll try to keep up...

Question:  Does Glassfish plan to be compliant with Java 8?  The last I heard, they were only looking to be compliant with Java 11.  If Glassfish is not interested in Java 8, how are we going to determine whether the TCK is executable and testable with Java 8?  Since the Java 8 compliance is optional, is this additional testing and verification required before we can claim Jakarta EE 9 is complete?  Or, do we wait until a vendor tries the Java 8 compliance testing and then work through the problems?  This might get messy if we have to modify some tests after we go final with Java 11...  I don't have all the answers.  Just questions to think about and figure out before we claim Jakarta EE 9 is done...

Thanks for raising this topic!

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Jakarta EE architect @ IBM
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: