Re: [jakartaee-tck-dev] How to build the Platform TCK with JDK11?

Hi folks
I favor building the TCK suite with JDK 8 and running under both JDK 8 and JDK 11. I don't think it is rational to maintain the two different binaires. It is not only time consuming but it takes extra efforts.
Regards.
Gurkan

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:32 PM Kevin Sutter <sutter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Alwin,
Per the Jakarta EE 9 Release Plan, testing for compliance using Java 8 is optional.  Testing with Java 11 is a requirement.  Those Java 11 compliant app servers can then optionally test and certify on Java 8.  Reminder that the TCK used for compliance testing is in binary format.  Thus, asking a vendor to re-build with Java 8 is not an option.

How the TCK goes about providing this support is up to the TCK team.

>  1. The final TCK bundle should be built with JDK11 only. We will not build the platform TCK using JDK8.

This would probably be the best approach.  Use JDK 11, but produce JDK 8 bytecodes.  This should allow the TCKs to be run in either the Java 8 or 11 runtimes.  Another alternative would be stick with JDK 8 for building the TCK, producing JDK 8 bytecodes.  The resulting binaries shiould be usable in either Java 8 or 11 runtimes.

Worse case would be to create different binaries -- one for Java 8 and one for Java 11.

Good luck!

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Jakarta EE architect @ IBM
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: