Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [DISCUSS] Include Jakarta MVC in EE 11

On Tue, Jul 18, 2023 at 1:11 AM Ivar Grimstad via jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That is great news that MVC will be made available as an experimental feature in WildFly!  It is already included in GlassFish.
Please encourage the developers to reach out to the Krazo-team when they start doing this. There have been some efforts to wrap it in a JBoss module.

Will do! Thanks, Ivar.

While I (with my MVC committer/project lead hat on) would very much like to see MVC included in EE 11, I (with my Platform committer hat on) am fine with MVC sitting out EE 11 ready to strike back when server-side rendering is the thing again. We'll get there eventually :)

Ivar

On Tue, Jul 18, 2023 at 12:09 AM David Blevins via jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jul 17, 2023, at 3:02 PM, lenny--- via jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Scott, I would think that having it optional would alleviate the concerns about being forced to support any specs.
> Wouldn’t this solve the “chicken-or-egg” problem as well? First, introduce as an optional spec,
> and, at a later time, see what kind of traction it gets, and then it can be voted upon to become a compulsory spec in a profile.
>
> Disclaimer: I have not read lately what “exactly” an optional feature in the platform is defined as.

In the last few platform releases we’ve steadily removed optional specs and communicated it’s ok for implementations to still include them as long as they pass the related TCK tests.

If we’re not going to require it to be in every implementation, then we’re already good — implementations have the choice to ship this or any standalone spec.

-David

>> On Jul 17, 2023, at 1:54 PM, Werner Keil via jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Well, everyone has just one vote and nobody has a veto.
>>
>> Of course for platform additions there's a "filibuster" kind of
>> requirement with a super majority, which is also why I am not sure, if
>> removing rarely used specs from the Web Profile is going to happen so soon.
>>
>> I'm also not sure, if adding it to the Web Profile would help, since MVC
>> has the charm of little overhead and only REST as a crucial dependency,
>> so it even works as an optional feature to the Core Profile for
>> "Self-Contained Systems" with a UI.
>>
>> On 17.07.2023 21:47, Scott Stark via jakartaee-platform-dev wrote:
>>> So a query of our WildFly development team has resulted in them not
>>> wanting to be forced to support this at a platform or profile level as
>>> they simply see no demand for it. While there is integration with
>>> RESTeasy available, we get no usage numbers from that module. They
>>> have suggested creating an experimental feature pack to gather Red Hat
>>> community interest in non-platform/profile specifications. The
>>> following Red Hat issue will track the feature pack:
>>>
>>> https://issues.redhat.com/browse/WFLY-18265
>>>
>>> For EE11 this means that Red Hat will vote against inclusion of MVC in
>>> either the platform or a profile.

Ivar Grimstad

Jakarta EE Developer Advocate | Eclipse Foundation Eclipse Foundation - Community. Code. Collaboration.