Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Simplifying the platform by merging some specs?

On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 5:23 PM Emily Jiang via jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One problem I think is that some runtime might just implement one spec not the other. With the merging, this could potentially force them to implement all of the parts.

Yes, that's why we need to look very carefully at it. So after having heard Lukas, we learned merging Mail and Activation is not sensible, but WebServices and SOAP might make sense. It was good to hear on the platform call that Meta Data has been merged already this release.

The merge could potentially make some specs too bulky.

In a way, true, but it would also simplify things in having 1 TCK to run, one module to add, one release to do, etc. I'm really not saying we MUST merge anything, but was just wondering if we should consider any merges. There's the reality perhaps that we don't have as many people working in EE as we had a couple of years ago, and it's now mostly the same people working on different strongly related specs and implementations.

Kind regards,
Arjan

Thanks
Emily

On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 2:37 PM Mark Thomas <markt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/03/2022 10:43, arjan tijms wrote:

<snip/>

> *Jakarta Pages and Jakarta (Standard) Tags*
> *
> *
> I don't think Tags are ever used outside Jakarta Pages. Does it
> really make sense to have the core tags for Pages in a separate spec?
> For instance, Faces has a number of core tags too, but despite us
> desperately wanting to slim the spec, I don't think anyone would dream
> of making those Faces core tags a separate spec.

I'm not sure the converse is true, that wherever Jakarta Pages is used
Jakarta Standard Tags are used too.

Mark

Thanks
Emily