From:        arjan tijms <arjan.tijms@xxxxxxxxx>
To:        jakartaee-platform developer discussions <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc:        Jakarta specification committee <jakarta.ee-spec.committee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        07/27/2020 07:43
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev]        [jakarta.ee-spec.committee][jakarta.ee-spec][jakartaee-spec-project-leads]AutomaticModuleNamesinJakartaEE9
Sent by:        jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 2:29 PM Werner Keil <werner.keil@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for the update. I trust you won’t change the package names from "jakarta.security.*” to something like "jakarta.authentication” etc. in EE 9?

Indeed, that change would not be a valid one under the base Jakarta EE 9 plan. For Jakarta EE 10 we could consider proposing this.

In that case the module name looks fine because it respects the Java SE naming convention recommending the top level package name.
Both Authorization and Authentication may change that at a later point, when they also got to refactor packages, but for now it looks ok.

Ok, thanks!

The "existence" of modules may change, but frankly speaking especially for the Top 5 Jakarta EE 8 specs with modules

changing the name of either of them would be extremely bad for the image and adoption of Jakarta EE.

We spent a lot of time on "namespaces" or naming conventions, therefore those that already have modules better not drop them or suddenly change them if up to 1000 projects including heavyweights like Spring Boot include them, and that way Ten if not Hundreds of Thousands of apps and services may depend on those names.

Writing a few sentences like the module name where present shall reflect the Maven groupId (except for EL or JSP all others do, Websocket is the only special case because it has a Client and Server module) or if everyone thought that would be better the artifactId (in such case every module shall NOW end with ".api” and not change between Jakarta EE 9 and 9.1 or 10) is really no effort compared to the hours we already spent on XML schema that many specs have absolutely no use for.

Werner