Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] version numbers and release qualifiers

On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 at 21:54, Werner Keil <werner.keil@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> EDR was used by the JCP for its Early Draft stage, see https://jcp.org/en/jsr/stage, similar for Public Review, Proposed Final Draft and in some cases maybe also Maintenance Releases.

JCP does not specify version scheme used by Specification
deliverables, (at least I can't find it at
https://jcp.org/en/procedures/jcp2_11). So using EDR, PR or MREL in
versions is not mandatory I think.

Obvious general observation: As long as deliverables are clickable
elements, that one (Client) has to navigate on page to download given
pdf, zip, jar - you* are free to use whatever name you like. You don't
have to produce maven-coordinated artifacts. You don't have to use
maven repository for distribution. Even if you do - you don't have to
follow maven way. You might release against it.
Just consider, that it might not work as you assume.

[People of] Maven decided to support pre-release "a", "b", "m" & "rc"
qualifiers, and you can use that in your versioning but you don't have
to. You can map your internal stages to supported qualifiers, or to
encode them in numbers only, or map internal versions to completely
different but maven-compatible public ones. Options seem to be
unlimited.
If you don't like it and you have better plan - raise to maven, and
they will evaluate and implement such changes. And repositories and
tools will follow.

* - with "you" not targeting anyone particular

But that's what I think. And I might be wrong.

--
Piotrek

Back to the top