Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] version numbers and release qualifiers

Back in the late days of Maven-1/early Maven2 we introduced some alphanumeric ordering.
But this is not applied everywhere. Plus it is inconsistent. So I'd rather avoid it alltogether.

Some people learned that the hard way. Ask JBoss why they use CR1 and not RC1 for Release Candidate?
The answer is that for some plugins a standard sort gets applied. And RC1 would be after MR1, because R comes after M. But C comes before M.
And we didn't yet even start to discuss whether nn-MR stands for Maintenance Release (after releae nn) or Milestone Release (chronoligically before release nn).

Thus I'd also suggest to keep it purely numeric if possible.

LieGrue,
strub