Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] VOTE: Specifications to Prune in Jakarta EE 9

David Blevins wrote on 11/17/19 1:07 PM:
On Nov 17, 2019, at 8:56 AM, Steve Millidge (Payara) <steve.millidge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

See previous email for context.

What is the title?
In case you're still looking for it - "Project Scope Votes for Jakarta EE 9"

The following specifications will be *removed* from Jakarta EE 9 Full profile specification.

- Jakarta Enterprise Bean entity beans – Note this is old style CMP and BMP entity beans NOT JPA Entities

- Jakarta Enterprise Bean 2.x and 1.x client view

I have concerns about these two specifically as we still have a great deal of people using them in applications that are actively developed.

 - Would including these implementations in a Jakarta EE 9 cause the signature tests to fail?
 - How would we handle the complexity of renaming only *some* of javax.ejb to jakarta.ejb?

You're right that there's some details we need to figure out here.

If we actually remove support for these EJB APIs from the Jakarta Enterprise Beans spec, they would not appear in the jakarta.ejb APIs.  Any product providing support for this functionality would be doing so as part of providing backward compatibility support for the EJB spec, and thus would provide the javax.ejb APIs.

That means there's no issue with the signature tests since the signature tests won't test the javax.ejb API signatures.

I haven't looked at the dependencies within the javax.ejb APIs to know what problems would exist if we remove just some of these APIs.  You've probably looked at this more than I have, what specific problems do you see?

Back to the top