Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Transitioning Jakarta EE to the jakarta namespace

Another angle, with Big Bang, what happens to companies that have purchased an application container? Are they going to pay for an upgrade that includes just a namespace change?

Where I’ve had trouble upgrading application servers in the past has centered around the JSF UI stuff. For some old applications, EE upgrades have generally required an upgrade to the third party JSF component libraries. UI code tends to be a bit more fragile and the UI frameworks may not upgrade nicely (been my experience). Server-side code I haven’t run into too many issues.

I’d like to see the reference implementation (GlassFish) tackle the name spacing first. How hard will it be for GlassFish to support both EE 8 and EE 9 (assuming 9 has a different namespace)? To me this debate has been somewhat abstract. The impact of the refactoring is going to depend upon application complexity. Some organizations are deploying multiple applications to containers (which by different groups on different schedules) which communicate via RMI etc.

Separately, I think the Java ecosystem is going through a bit of upheaval at the moment with getting code running on post Java 8. With Java 9, the technical debt bill came due. Do we want to throw a namespace challenge into the mix at the moment when companies are grappling with transitioning to Java 11?

 Just curious, why aren’t the individual specs making the decision on when they jump to the new namespace?

-Ryan