Re: [jakarta.ee-spec] [External] : Re: Ratified Implementations and special designation in the eyes of users

I wasn't on the call so please allow me to inject my thoughts --

the implementation (or implementations) that is (or are) willing to work with the specification project on the speculation that the evolution of the specification will become useful, and who are willing to work under the project constraints and timelines set by the community, do, in my opinion deserve some special mention. That team or and/or their sponsoring organization is putting themselves and their effort behind something completely speculative and community planned until the final ballot is approved.

Those who come after, while certainly supportive and welcomed, have the benefit of adhering to their own timelines and project requirements, not those determined by our community. They are not obligated to apply the inevitable last minute changes and rework from changes that always come up as everything comes to a close. We welcome later compatible implementation contributions to the specification in the way of bug-fixes, test challenges, etc. but these are not provided under the same constraints and onus as the implementations that agree to work under the specification project delivery requirements.

Another obligation of the implementation(s) that are used for ratification is, those implementations is supposed to live "forever" (so one could go back and verify how the Spec. team verified that the spec. could be realized). I don't think subsequent implementations have any such obligation.

I don't see this suggestion so, I'll add one more to the list:

Under the first heading (the Spec. name and version) on the specification page add all implementations that are included as part of the ratification.

Under the heading Compatible Implementations -- all compatible implementations can be listed (including those used for ratification) in whatever order we like.

So, initial compatible implementations are listed with the rest of the Specification required materials and if an initial compatible implementation were to ask we replace it's certification listing with a newer release -- that could be accommodated (if that vendor wishes) under the 'compatible implementations' heading without displacing the material used for ratification.

Regardless how we implement this, I think these initial implementations do deserve some recognition.

-- Ed