Re: [jakarta.ee-community] Java Records and Jakarta EE

While I think of it as a separate issue, I definitely think the default constructor requirement should be revisited. It does make domain models more awkward sometimes. I do however look at it as a low priority issue.

Reza Rahman

From: jakarta.ee-community <jakarta.ee-community-bounces@eclipseorg> on behalf of Oliver Drotbohm <odrotbohm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 4, 2021 12:11 PM
To: Jakarta EE community discussions
Cc: jakartaee-ambassadors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [jakarta.ee-community] Java Records and Jakarta EE

Hi,

> Am 04.12.2021 um 17:46 schrieb Reza Rahman <reza_rahman@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> Here is some preliminary analysis and discussion for Persistence: https://github.com/kalgon/jpa-records/issues/1. The gist is that I don’t think Persistence needs to do anything right now, but there may be value in looking into a standard utility that can convert to and from Records.

There are a couple of misconceptions in the README of the project, which I've commented on here [0].

JPA requiring default constructors pretty much everywhere *is* a severe limitation to the entity design for dozens of reasons. Records make that pretty obvious. So while of course you can argue Persistence doesn't "need " to do anything regarding this aspect, but I think it should. Because improving on this would broadly benefit Persistence, not only in persisting records.

Cheers,
Ollie

[0] https://github.com/kalgon/jpa-records/issues/3

Back to the top