Re: [jakarta.ee-community] Guide to Contributing to Jakarta EE 10

I have one more issue in this context I would like to clarify once again (the reason is that there seems to be various contradictory ideas on this topic from people with perhaps different perspectives).

My understanding is that becoming a contributor has a lot lower paperwork bar than being a committer. In general for a contributor it appears to be sufficient to just sign the ECA - which in general does not seem to require any kind of paperwork from an employer. On the other hand, becoming a committer seems to in most/some cases require some kind of employer involvement even if effectively signing an "IP waiver" for a given employee contributing on their own time. Is this a good layman's view of things? Can the right folks (Wayne, Mike, Tanja, Ivar, etc) please clarify? I know there are corner cases, but is this a fair characterization for most people that will likely contribute using the guide (non-vendors, people that probably don't work for member companies, contributing individually). Can things be stated in an even simpler way?

Again, the objective here is to make the on-ramp for new contributors (that may one day become committers, but probably not) as friendly, simple and enticing as possible. Having something akin to a verbal logic diagram that attempts to cover every corner case is virtually guaranteed to confuse and put off people...

Reza Rahman

P.S.: I really thought we did this once for the Jakarta EE 9 contribution guide already, but I guess not given the ongoing confusion going in various directions.