From: Ivar Grimstad <ivar.grimstad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 7/13/20 1:21 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Jakarta EE community discussions <jakarta.ee-community@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [jakarta.ee-community] Guide to Contributing to Jakarta EE 10

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 2:11 AM reza_rahman <reza_rahman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
An interesting consideration came up in the context of the guide that I believe I have clarity on, but it feels l like I should confirm.

For Jakarta EE and indeed for the Eclipse Foundation generally, project mailing lists appear to be the canonical communication mechanism. This means that we should all be at least making a good faith effort to centralize substantive discussions and decision making in the mailing lists.

This certainly seems sensible to me as a way of maximizing transparency and inclusion, especially for folks that may have limited time and engagement at any given moment. Now, of course it is understandable that some discussion organically happens in places like GitHub issues, Slack channels, etc as long as we remain consious of trying not to replace a more inclusive communication mechanism instead of sensibly supplementing it.

Could the right folks kindly clarify (e.g. Wayne, Mike, Tanja, Ivar)? Also, what do folks here think - especially folks that are not heavily engaged today but could be in the future? What works best for you in terms of inclusion and transparency in the likely limited time you have?

I think it is up to each project to choose how they communicate as long as it is inclusive and transparent.
My 2 cents on suggested guidelines:

- Project mailing lists should be the primary channel of communication.
- Decisions, voting and such should be done on the mailing lists
- Discussions on the mailing list could typically result in GitHub issues
- Hammering down the details of a particular issue is probably best to do by commenting on the issue directly
- Channels like Slack, Gitter, etc. are fine to use for sync ad-hoc discussions and clarifications.
- It could be a good practice to post the results of these discussions on the mailing list if relevant for the broader community

Ivar

It would be good to have clarity so we can bake in clarity and simplicity into the guide. I think that helps everyone in the end.

Reza Rahman