Re: [jakarta.ee-community] Fork Eclipse MicroProfile Configuration as Jakarta Configuration.

On 2020-04-06 11:14 p.m., Jason Greene wrote:
Secondly, do you acknowledge that MicroProfile is not an open standard today?

I don’t think the EF is a formal standards body  (at least yet)?

I want to reply clearly to this, because I have seen the same confusion elsewhere in this thread.

It is correct to say that the "EF is not a formal standards body". That is *completely* irrelevant to these discussions. The Java Community Process (JCP) is also not a formal standards body and never will be. It produced open specifications, not open standards. That doesn't mean that it was not successful for many years in driving industry open specifications that multiple vendors implemented, supported, and created a hugely successful ecosystem around.

Jakarta EE is absolutely an "open specification", and meets all of the industry expectations of such, including having properly governed IP flows and management. And it was specifically designed to overcome many of the perceived shortcomings of the JCP, including a lack of vendor neutrality.

It is the stated intent of all of the stakeholders to get MicroProfile to the same level.

--

Mike Milinkovich

Executive Director | Eclipse Foundation, Inc.

mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

@mmilinkov

+1.613.220.3223 (m)

Back to the top