Re: [jakarta.ee-community] Fork Eclipse MicroProfile Configuration as Jakarta Configuration.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 12:03 PM Werner Keil <werner.keil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well even if you leave the individuals aside, the JSR had vendors from IBM (2 including Sebastian who is also there, it could even be 3 now) Red Hat, Fujitsu, Tomitribe and Oracle, the most active contributor to Helidon in fact who contributed around 200k  LOC to Helidon all by himself, compared to merely 20k by everyone in MP Config:  https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-config/graphs/contributors
> In the first quarter of 2020 it was practically a One Woman Show by Emily, most of the others  have not contributed anything in over a year.

Nevertheless, the MP Config project is where innovation is taking
place.  LOC doesn't come into it.  Writing the code is the least (and
easiest) part of writing a specification.  I too could push up reams
of my own code and then complain that nobody standardizes it.  Or
create a vendor consortium around such a push.  But that doesn't yield
a good specification: hard work and analysis does so.  And this work
breeds participation, which is increasing steadily despite there being
fundamentally a fairly small pool of humans who are both able and
willing to work on a cross-industry specification in the first place.

It's far more useful to look at the massive improvements to the spec
language, the TCK, and discussion on issues *since* the origin of the
project.  That's where the real standardization work happens.  It's an
API: there isn't really much actual *code* in it at all!

And it's not clear what you're saying about the JSR... MP Config
forked that when the JSR *died*, and MP Config is active now, having
fixed (or being in the process of fixing) *many* deficiencies in the
original code, specification, and TCK.  All of those original vendors
and individuals are free to rejoin the effort, and some are doing so.
Why would Jakarta fare any better *today*?  Why would Jakarta in fact
accomplish anything by forking now, other than *at best* causing
disruption in the community, and at worst draining what community
motivation to work on this specification exists today?

MP Config is *succeeding*.
--
- DML

Back to the top