Re: [jakarta.ee-community] Fork Eclipse MicroProfile Configuration as Jakarta Configuration.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 11:44 AM reza_rahman <reza_rahman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think certainly a sensible next step could be to assess who would be involved in a Jakarta Configuration project, including the orginal folks that filed the equivalent JSR as well as potential early implementors. Of course part of that needs to be assessing if it would be premature standadization. Given how long this concept has been around especially considering prior art done in the Spring space, my current view is that it is indeed mature enough for standardization, possibly for inclusion into Jakarta EE 10.

As someone already working hard to standardize config, I think I can
say with some authority I think that given Jakarta's stability
requirements, it would be a waste of time trying to do so in Jakarta
right now.  In the best case, you'd be following along with MP Config
developments (and possibly contributing use cases and/or code to it)
until it is stable anyway.  In the worst case, you'd be diverging from
it, due to dismissing accepted use cases, or even possibly for more
petty or political reasons.

In that case, doesn't it make sense to wait for MP Config to mature
some more, to gain yet more ubiquity and uncover any remaining major
use cases that may exist?  To me that makes a ton more sense than
throwing away and/or replicating *all* the analysis and research that
has already been done.

Age is no indicator of stability or maturity.  You could take some
other existing solution and slap a label on it, but you'd be
dismissing a lot of analysis which reveals use cases that will
definitely be encountered.  You'd be accepting a lower quality of
product just to stick the Jakarta name on something sooner rather than
later.  Good things come to those who wait!

--
- DML

Back to the top